Mental Health Peer Specialist Training
Next Training: August 17-21, 2020
(online, interactive training)
Application deadline: July 13, by 5pm | Acceptance notification: July 20, by 5pm
Due to the current COVID-19 crisis Via Hope is offering the Mental Health Peer Specialist training online. While the content of the training will not change the delivery method will vary. This means that the content will be provided via Zoom technology, polls, chats, whiteboards and short interactive breakout sessions online. Individual computer access is required for this training. Participants cannot login in a group environment.
Orientation and application for Core Training: Click here. The Core training must be completed *before* you apply to the 5-day training.
Application and Registration Fees
- You must have reviewed the online orientation materials and have passed the Core training assessment prior to applying for this training.
- There are two parts to the training, the core training and the specialized training.
- The registration for the core training is $75.
- The registration for Mental Health Peer Specialist eLearning training is $575.
- An invoice for the core training will be sent via email to the applicant and payment must be received at least two days prior to the training. Once the core training has been completed, an invoice for the specialized training, will be sent and payment must be received no later than 2 (two) week before the training date. * If the applicant is unable to attend for a valid reason and notifies Via Hope at least three business days prior to the training, a full refund will be provided.
Training Eligibility Requirements
- Individuals must be age 18 or older.
- Individuals must be a high school graduate or have completed a G.E.D.
- Individuals must have lived experience in mental health recovery and a desire to use her/his experiences to help others with their recovery.
- Individuals must be willing to publicly identify as a person with lived experience in order to model the reality of recovery.
Via Hope actively welcomes a diverse group of training applicants with respect to race, color, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, and lived experience.
Application, Selection, and Participation Requirements
- The application must be completed in its entirety.
- **Two letters of recommendation must be uploaded with the application**.
- Enrollment is limited; priority is given to applicants currently employed or volunteering in a peer position.
- Selection is based primarily on information provided in this application. However, a telephone interview may also be conducted. Completing the application does not guarantee acceptance to the training.
- Applicants must agree to attend and actively participate in five full days of training.
- Participants may request to be excused for a maximum of four (4) hours for legitimate emergency situations. Via Hope reserves the right to approve or deny the request.
- Attendees will participate in discussion and role-plays utilizing personal experiences as individuals in recovery, rather than clinical roles or training.
- Participants must pass the exams following the Core training and the specialized training to be eligible to apply for certification.