Collaborative for Recovery Focused Change
Via Hope is excited to announce a new opportunity for training and consultative support as organizations take steps toward recovery-focused change!
The Collaborative for Recovery Focused Change will bring together behavioral health agencies in Texas so that they may rise to the challenge of supporting the whole person, from service to systems levels.
This multi-year program will provide training and technical support within a collaborative community, preparing organizations to put person-centered, recovery-focused, trauma-responsive, and cultural humility principles into action.
Who should apply
In order to be eligible, your organization should be a Texas-based behavioral health provider that receives public funds. Via Hope will consider organization-based teams (a team of people from a single organization), as well as cross-agency teams consisting of people representing multiple teams (e.g. a coalition). Cross-agency teams should include at least one organization that receives public funds.
Topics we’ll explore
Over the course of this program, activities will address a variety of topics and common challenges faced by behavioral health agencies, including:
- Recovery principles in organization and practice paradigms
- Trauma-informed practices that promote a culture of safety, empowerment, and healing
- Person-centered practice
- Recovery-oriented culture
- Overcoming challenges to adopting a recovery-oriented model of service delivery
- Cultural humility as an organizational practice
- Peer specialist and family partner recruitment, hiring, and retention practices
- Recovery-oriented service impacts on outcomes, cost, and service utilization
What to expect
The Collaborative for Recovery Focused Change is designed to spread understanding of topics foundational to recovery and provide highly individualized consultative support for a wide range of agency-based projects. Participating teams can expect the following:
- Facilitated activities geared toward organizational self-assessment and planning that reflect the agency’s (or cross-agency team’s) priorities and goals for change
- Training and technical assistance, including regular access to subject matter experts
- Ongoing access to a community of providers from across the state that are navigating similar challenges
- A curated set of learning sessions that explore recovery-oriented principles, opportunities to implement new practices, and support for new programmatic approaches
- At least one in-person visit by consultants to your agency to provide on-site support
- Tools and resources only available to program participants
- Continuing education credits
Most or all activities will be held remotely with no need for travel, unless participants opt for an in-person gathering of all teams later.
Types of projects
Organizational teams (or community-based teams from multiple agencies) will identify specific projects to be supported by the program. Participating teams will indicate their goals for change during the application process and finalize specific project plans early in the program.
Examples of previous projects the Recovery Institute has supported include:
- Revising staff performance standards to reflect person-centered practice standards
- Helping LMHAs to deepen partnerships with local Consumer Operated Service Providers (COSPs)
- Establishing new staff wellness practices throughout the agency
- Implementing site-based training for all staff on the role of peer services
- Establishing a consumer council to inform quality improvement initiatives throughout the agency
- Developing and improving upon agency-based hiring practices, supervision approaches, and career ladder development for peer support service staff
- Creating recovery-oriented, integrated physical and behavioral health peer support staff roles
- Expanding the role of peer professionals by implementing Wellness Recovery Action Plan® (WRAP®)
Other projects may include, but are not limited to:
- Implementing or improving upon an existing committee on diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Adopting new policies/procedures to align with Certified Community Behavioral Health Center (CCBHC) criteria
- Pilot project to offer peer services to youth in recovery, alongside peer support services to the family
- Forming a regional coalition to better serve LGBTQ individuals in recovery
- Establishing a regional consultation group among supervisors to adopt person-centered supervision
- Creating a pilot program to place peer professionals in new settings, while they receive supervision from outside the agency where they work
Collaborative for Recovery Focused Change Program Timeline (2021 – 2023)
This program is made possible with grant funds from the Medical and Social Services Division of Texas Health and Human Services Commission and support from the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. While it requires a significant time commitment by the core team members, there is no registration fee.
|October 6th, 2021
1:30 pm – 2:30 pm CST
|Via Hope hosts Informational Webinar. A recording is available here.|
|October 6th, 2021 – November 3rd, 2021||Online applications open Wednesday, October 6th at 5:00 pm CST and close Wednesday, November 3rd at 5:00 pm CST.|
|November 12th, 2021||Applicants are notified of acceptance.|
|December 15th, 2021||Via Hope hosts Orientation Webinar for approved participants.|
|January 2022 – June 2023||Program activities take place, including site visits, learning sessions, cohort gatherings, consultation groups, and bi-monthly team calls.|
How to apply
Step one: Read the Program Overview to determine whether the program is a good fit.
- Click here to access the Program Overview document
Step two: Get details about the application process from the appropriate application preview document and prepare your answers.
- Click here to preview the application for organizational teams (groups of people working at the same agency).
- Click here to preview the application for cross-agency teams (groups of people representing two or more agencies).
Step three: Complete and submit the appropriate online application by Wednesday, November 3rd at 5:00 pm CST.
- Click here to access the live application for an organizational team.
- Click here to access the live application for a cross-agency team.
To access the Informational Webinar recording, click here.
For more information
Enter your contact information below to receive updates about the Collaborative for Recovery Focused Change as more information becomes available.