Reentry Peer Specialist Training & Certification
Monday, December 9 – Saturday, December 14, 2019
Application deadline Monday November 4, 2019 | Acceptance Notifications by 5pm on November 11th
Via Hope will be providing a new eight day (6 – in person and 2 – via an eLearning Platform) peer training and certification specifically for formerly incarcerated individuals that have had a mental health or substance use challenge. This training is designed to directly address the significant barriers to becoming a whole person that effects employment and other reentry barriers that many people face after release from incarceration. The emphasis on the trauma individuals experience before, during, and after incarceration is a significant distinction from other training models. There is also an emphasis on the Freedom vs. Release perspective. The Reentry Peer Specialist credential will also offer formerly incarcerated individuals with an opportunity to further their own recovery while providing support and hope to other people who may be trying to find their own way through reentry and recovery.
Application and Registration Fees
- The registration for Reentry Peer Specialist Training & Certification is $950.
- The registration fee covers all class supplies and materials plus daily lunch.
- An invoice for the training, will be sent and payment must be received no later than 2 (two) week before the training date. * If the applicant is unable to attend for a valid reason and notifies Via Hope at least three business days prior to the training, a full refund will be provided.
- Candidates selected to participate in this training are responsible for arranging their own travel to and from the training.
Training Eligibility Requirements
- Individuals must be age 18 or older.
- Individuals must be a high school graduate or have completed a G.E.D.
- Individuals must have internet and computer access for 2 days of eLearning training and exam.
- Individuals must have been in jail or prison as an adult.
- Individuals must have lived experience in mental health, substance use or co-occurring recovery and a desire to use her/his experiences to help others with their recovery.
- Individuals must be willing to publicly identify as a person with lived experience in order to model the reality of recovery.
Via Hope actively welcomes a diverse group of training applicants with respect to race, color, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, and lived experience.
Application, Selection, and Participation Requirements
- The application must be completed in its entirety.
- Enrollment is limited; priority is given to applicants currently employed or volunteering in a peer position.
- Selection is based primarily on information provided in this application. However, a telephone interview may also be conducted. Completing the application does not guarantee acceptance to the training.
- Applicants must agree to attend and actively participate in six full (in person) days of training.
- Attendees will participate in discussion and role-plays utilizing personal experiences as individuals in recovery, rather than clinical roles or training.
- Participants must pass the exam following the training in order to become certified.
This certification is specific to Reentry Peer Specialist only. You will not be certified to provide any other direct peer services.