Co-Occurring Challenges (Endorsement Training)
The Co-Occurring Challenges Training is a two day training designed to educate Mental Health Peer Specialists and Certified Peer Recovery Support Specialist about the philosophies, issues, and practices underlying each other’s work.
Half of each training class is comprised of Mental Health Peer Specialists and the other half is comprised of Certified Peer Recovery Support Specialist. To be eligible for the training, a Peer Specialist must have been employed or volunteering as a peer specialist at least half time for a minimum of six months.
The Co-Occurring Challenges curriculum has been developed as a resource for experienced peer specialists from the substance use and mental health recovery support communities. The curriculum provides an interactive approach to:
- Cross-training on substance use and mental health recovery
- Developing practical skills for working peers who assist those living with co-occurring challenges.
Development of this training was a joint effort of Via Hope and the Mental Health and Substance Abuse Division of the Department of State Health Services. The training consists of the following modules:
Module 1. Introductions/Training Objectives
Module 2. Same Ideas, Different Words
Module 3. What’s happening in Texas
Module 4. Which Door Did You Walk Through? Systems of Care, History, and Cultures of Recovery.
Module 5. The Role of Trauma
Module 6. The Chicken, the Egg, and the Omelet/ Co-occurring Experiences
Module 7. This All Sounds Good/Using Motivational Interviewing in the Real World
Module 8. When the Lines Get Blurry/Boundaries and Transference
Module 9. Moving Forward
14 CEUs are awarded upon completion.
Via Hope is excited to offer the below Co-Occurring Trainings (no registration fee, no breakfast or lunch cost) on the below dates:
- May 29&30, 2019 in Austin, TX. Application closed.
- June 19&20, 2019 in Irving, TX. Application available. Deadline to apply: Monday, May 13th by 5pm. Acceptance notifications: by 5pm on May 20th.
- July 10&11, 2019 in Houston, TX. Application available. Deadline to apply: Monday, June 3rd by 5pm. Acceptance notifications: by 5pm on June 10th.
- August 14&15, 2019 in San Antonio, TX. Application available. Deadline to apply: Monday, July 8th by 5pm. Acceptance notifications: by 5pm on July 15th.