Next class: February 25-March 2, 2019 in Austin, TX
Application deadline: January 22nd, Acceptance notifications: February 5th
Please read the CPS Application Supplement before completing the application.
This training is intended for individuals who will use their lived experience with mental health recovery in a role where their primary function is providing peer support. It is not intended for people who work exclusively in clinical or administrative positions.
Application and Registration Fees
- The registration for Certified Peer Specialist training is $650.
- The registration fee covers all class supplies and materials plus daily lunch.
- If accepted for training an invoice will be sent via email to the applicant or the applicant’s employer, and payment must be received no later than 2 (two) week before the training date. If the applicant is unable to attend for a valid reason and notifies Via Hope at least three business days prior to the training, a full refund will be provided.
- Candidates selected to participate in this training are responsible for arranging their own travel to and from the training.
Training Eligibility Requirements
- Individuals must be age 18 or older.
- Individuals must be a high school graduate or have completed a G.E.D.
- Individuals must have lived experience in mental health recovery and a desire to use her/his experiences to help others with their recovery.
- Individuals must be willing to publicly identify as a person with lived experience in order to model the reality of recovery.
Via Hope actively welcomes a diverse group of training applicants with respect to race, color, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, and lived experience.
Application, Selection, and Participation Requirements
- The application must be completed in its entirety.
- Two letters of recommendation must be uploaded with the application.
- Enrollment is limited; priority is given to applicants currently employed or volunteering in a peer position.
- Selection is based primarily on information provided in this application. However, a telephone interview may also be conducted. Completing the application does not guarantee acceptance to the training.
- Applicants must agree to attend and actively participate in five full days of training.
- Attendees will participate in discussion and role-plays utilizing personal experiences as individuals in recovery, rather than clinical roles or training.
- Participants must pass a written exam given the day after the final day of the training to become certified.
- Via Hope reserves the right to determine participation and certification status.