Individuals who have taken certification training from a recognized source in another state, and received a certification recognized by the state Medicaid agency in the state where the certification was issued, may apply to become certified by completing this Reciprocity Application.
In order to be approved for reciprocity, individuals must meet the following criteria:
- Individual has taken a peer specialist certification training from a recognized source in another state;
- Individual has received a certification recognized by the state Medicaid agency in the state where the certification was issued;
- Individual has an active certification in the state where the certification was issued; and
- Individual is in good standing with the certifying body in the state where the certification was issued.
The reciprocity process includes the following basic components:
- Individual submits a completed application, a copy of active certification, and two character references;
- Via Hope contacts the original certifying body to confirm that the individual is in good standing with an active certification;
- Via Hope contacts the individual’s previous employer to confirm that the individual was in good standing at the time of employment; then
- Via Hope makes a decision about whether to grant reciprocity.
If the application for reciprocity is granted, the applicant does not have to take and pass the Via Hope certification exam. The Via Hope-issued certification will end on the original expiration date of the other State’s certification. The same continuing education requirements will be in effect for the remainder of the certification period. If the other State’s Certification does not have an expiration date, the Via Hope Certification will be for a maximum of twenty-four months.
If the application for reciprocity is not granted, the applicant may not re-apply for reciprocity. Based on the information gathered by Via Hope during the reciprocity process, it is up to the discretion of Via Hope whether to offer or deny the applicant an opportunity to apply to the Via Hope Certified Peer Specialist.