Peer Services Implementation
Via Hope held its first Peer Specialist Certification Training and launched the Peer Specialist Learning Community in 2010. Today, over a thousand people have been trained as peer specialists and there has been a veritable explosion in the growth of peer support positions in the Texas behavioral health system. As the value of peer support has become recognized, reliable consultative support for the implementation of effective peer services is essential.
To support effective implementation of peer services across Texas, Via Hope offers webinars, public workshops, individualized training and technical assistance to organizations upon request, and learning community programs that provide intensive support to a cohort of individuals or organizational teams over six months or more.
Peer Services Implementation (PSI) Learning Community
The 2019-2020 Peer Services Implementation (PSI) program is designed to bring together supervisors of peer specialists to expand the knowledge and skills necessary to support people working as professional peer providers. Furthermore, this program aims to expand the number of field-based leaders who can serve as subject matter experts on peer work at their agency.
Participants Can Expect the Following Support in the PSI Program
- Tailored support to help participants meet their goals,
- Ongoing access to a community of supervisors navigating similar supervision and implementation challenges,
- Ongoing learning and exploration of supervisory practices and styles, opportunities to implement new practices, and support for new programmatic approaches,
- Tools and resources only available to program participants,
- Continuing education hours that will fulfill Peer Specialist Supervisor requirements for two years, including Ethics, and
- Regular access to subject matter experts who provide individualized consultation.
Who Should Apply
- Individual or multiple supervisors from one organization,
- In clinical or peer support roles,
- Supervising or preparing to supervise mental health and/or substance use peer providers
- People employed at any not-for-profit, behavioral health provider organization
How to Apply
- View 2019-2020 PSI Program Overview – Updated document for program details and requirements.
- View 2019-2020 PSI Application Preview to prepare application responses.
- View the PSI Learning Community FAQ document. NEW!
- Click HERE to submit an application online (via Survey Monkey).
Contact us with specific questions.
Demystifying the Peer Workforce: Ethical Considerations for Non-Peer Professionals
Demystifying the Peer Workforce is a 2-day workshop offered by Via Hope as a component of the Recovery Institute’s Peer Services Implementation (PSI) Program. The workshop is designed to provide participants with an understanding of the role of Mental Health Peer Specialists, the value they add to the organizations where they work, and common challenges experienced when implementing peer support services in traditional behavioral health provider settings. Participants will come away with a greater appreciation of how peer support services and clinical services can complement one another and an awareness of how to effectively promote peer support services within their organization. The target audience for this interactive workshop is administrators, supervisors, and clinical staff that want to enhance collaboration across roles to effectively promote recovery within mental health service settings.
Public offerings of this workshop occur routinely and provide the opportunity for individuals or small groups to learn how peer services can best be used at their agencies. This workshop is also available for specific organizations who wish to dive a little deeper by hosting Via Hope on site. Contact us to find out about pricing and available funding to support on-site training that’s customized to the needs of your team.
Peer Specialist Supervisor Training
This 2-day training meets the requirements for people seeking the Peer Specialist Supervisor Certification under Texas Administrative Code, Rules 354.3105 and 354.3163. The certification qualification is necessary for organizations planning to bill Medicaid using the newly established Peer Services billing code. This workshop provides basic information that will benefit anyone providing direct supervision to Peer Specialists.
This interactive training is comprised of didactic content, video presentations from a variety of subject matter experts, participatory exercises, and workplace scenarios. Modules are focused on the following topics: Peer Foundation, Supervisor Foundation, Non-Peer Specialists Supervising Peers, Group Supervision, and Supervision Scenarios.
Upon completion of the training, and passing of an online knowledge assessment, participants will be required to apply directly to Texas Certification Board for credentialing click here or Wales Education Services: click here.
Next training: November 11-12, 2019 in Houston, TX. Registration is closed to the public but available to PSI program applicants until October 28th (or until class is at capacity). Click HERE to apply as a PSI applicant.
The following training will be in Austin on January 22-23, with registration opening on December 11th.