CFP Continuing Education
In order for a certified family partner to maintain their certification, 20 continuing education units (CEUs) are required for each 24-month (two year) recertification period. CEUs are obtained through attendance at relevant conferences, classroom style trainings, Via Hope endorsement trainings, or online courses/webinars. CEU credit is only accepted for topics covered in the Basic Certification Training or from the CFP core competencies.
The endorsement trainings offered by Via Hope provide CEU credits. If CEU requirements are not met within the two-year recertification period, the CFP’s certification is suspended until they have completed the required CEU hours.
CEUs do not have to be obtained formally. Some professions require a fee for CEUs: CFPs do not. Verification of the hours through a completion certificate documenting the number of training hours, a conference agenda booklet with listings of the workshops you attended, or if neither of those is available, a brief summary of what you learned by attending or participating in a webinar will be accepted.
A CFP who is interested in participating in a class, online training, or conference and wants to ensure they will receive CEU credit, must submit a Request for Training Approval for CEUs available on the Request for Training Approval for C.E.U.s page. Via Hope prefers that this form be submitted 30 days before the training. Via Hope will accept the form after the training but then there is no guarantee that the CEU credit will be granted.
Courses that are preapproved by Via Hope include:
- Via Hope endorsement trainings or other sources of training on IDEA/Special Education, Juvenile Justice, and Wraparound
- Trainings recommended by Via Hope such as eCPR, Nurturing Parenting, and Medication Education
- Trauma informed principles of care, alternatives to seclusion and restraint
- Accessing Community Resources for Families with children with special needs
- Issues related to Transitional Age Youth
Resource List for Other Courses That May Be Used for CEU Credit
Via Hope has compiled the following list of webinar links and conferences that may be used to earn CEU credit. Any questions about whether a given course can be used for CEU credit can be resolved by submitting the CEU form (page 1) or by calling Christianna Hale at 512-853-8175.
- Via Hope Online Training
- Webinars on the HHSC System of Care
- SAMHSA – Children’s Mental Health Webinars – (4,540 various topics)
- SAMHSA -Trauma
- NCTSN (National Child Traumatic Stress Network)
- National Technical Assistance Center for Children’s Mental Health
- Institute for Innovations and Implementation, Univ. of MD Online Trainings
- Wraparound, System of Care, Webinars
- University of Maryland – School of Social Work – Webninars
- Any HHSC approved EBP (Evidence Based Practice) trainings
- National Federation of Families Conference
- Any SAMHSA endorsed conference/trainings
- Texas System of Care
- Texas Council Conference
Questions on CEUs for CFPs can be directed to Christianna Hale at 512-953-8175.