Virtual Family Support Specialist
Hand to Hold
General instructions to apply:
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Job Role and Purpose:
Hand to Hold is a national non-profit organization providing personalized support before, during, and after a NICU stay to help ensure all NICU families thrive.
As a 2022 Best Place for Working Parents® business, our dynamic, growing organization seeks a Virtual Family Support Specialist to join our team to support NICU families virtually in either one-on-one or in group settings, all with a goal to reduce the negative impact of a NICU stay and ensure the best outcome for the entire family.
If you are a great communicator, self-motivated, a self-described people person, want to do work with meaning and purpose, and like to move quickly – we want you to apply for this position!
Reporting to the Program Manager under the general direction of the Program Director, the Virtual Family Support Specialist must demonstrate an empathetic personality combined with a dynamic professional attitude to convey Hand to Hold’s mission and values. This position provides peer psycho-social support and education for NICU families. The role requires leaning on one’s own personal experience and specific peer support training. Training to become a certified Mental Health Peer Specialist and with others on the Hand to Hold programs team will be offered to prepare for this peer support role.
A high degree of competence or expertise in technology use is necessary as communication with families is virtually performed through various platforms. This is a multi-faceted role that requires a person who is energetic, proactive, and motivated, produces consistently high-quality work, turns tasks around quickly, and communicates effectively. This position plays a role in a variety of Hand to Hold programs in order to extend services to the maximum number of NICU families possible.
Personal experience with Hand to Hold’s mission, and being bilingual in English and Spanish, are required.
● Virtual Support Group Facilitation in English and Spanish
● Peer Mentor Program Coordination in Spanish
● Facebook Group Moderation in Spanish
● App Moderation in English and Spanish
● Personal experience as a NICU parent is required.
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional work experience.
● Bilingual in English and Spanish.
● Certification in peer support, or willingness to begin the certification within the first 90 days.
● Awareness of mental health challenges NICU parents face and willingness to complete appropriate training in this area, as well as ongoing education on racial and ethnic disparities, trauma-informed care, and other relevant instruction, both online and in person.
● Ability to provide culturally competent support and education,
● Work or internship experience working with children and families, including those with disabilities, in health care, early childhood intervention, or maternal health care programs.
● Ability to work both independently and on teams.
● Ability to think proactively, address problems creatively, and take initiative appropriately.
● Ability to maintain confidentiality and professionalism as an ambassador for the organization.
● Demonstrated excellence in organizational, written, and verbal communication skills.
● Willingness to learn and abide by best practices in peer support.
● Willingness to learn and apply best practices in health literacy and medical education.
Reports to the Program Manager under the general direction of the Program Director.
Salary and Benefits:
Flexible work schedule
Estimated 10-15 hours per week; maximum of 20
Non-exempt hourly, part-time position
Hand to Hold is not currently able to offer part-time employee health insurance or benefits.