Job Title: Peer Support Specialist
Employer: The Capital Area Private Defender Service (CAPDS)
Location: Travis County, Texas
The Capital Area Private Defender Service (“CAPDS”) is a Managed Assigned Counsel program that handles the vast majority of indigent defense representation in Travis County. CAPDS uses a holistic defense model, placing the client at the center of the representation. We use a team-based interdisciplinary approach where mitigation specialists, case managers, experts, investigators, and immigration counsel collaborate with the defense attorney to enhance the quality of indigent defense services. As a part of this system, CAPDS provides social services to clients who are facing criminal charges.
Job Role and Purpose:
CAPDS appreciates the value of peer support as a complementary component to the services we currently provide to our clients. We are looking for a Peer Support Specialist to work with clients in the Travis County Mental Health Court. The Peer Specialist will advocate for, assist, and support clients as they work toward their wellness goals and navigate social, mental health, and criminal legal systems. Additionally, the peer specialists will use their lived experience to work with CAPDS leadership around agency-related improvements. The Peer Specialist will:
● Assist individuals in navigating the social, mental health, and criminal legal systems and in achieving resiliency and recovery as defined by the client.
● Provide peer support for individuals in the Mental Health Court as they navigate bond, probation, and/or diversion docket conditions.
● Assist individuals in obtaining required documents for housing, employment, and other benefits.
● Support individuals as they locate and apply for employment opportunities, educational programs, housing, or other goals as defined by the individual.
● Coordinate with the social services team, attorney, and court personnel to address barriers to successful program completion.
● Effectively communicate information about services and assist clients in updating their eligibilities for services; may offer referrals for ineligible individuals to area organizations/providers.
● Maintain accurate and detailed client notes and documentation.
● Lived experience with justice involvement
● High school diploma or GED
● MHPS certification preferred
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Highly compassionate and attentive to detail
● Experience with data entry
● Basic computer skills
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org attn: Katy Jo Muncie, as one document with “Peer Support Specialist” in the subject line. Only electronic communications will be accepted. Please demonstrate in your cover letter that you meet the minimum qualifications. Only applicants who meet the minimum requirements will be considered.
Salary and Benefits:
We offer an excellent total compensation package, including a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. Benefits include 403b, PTO, medical, dental, and vision.