Job Title: Peer Navigator
Employer’s Name: The Harris Center for Mental Health & IDD
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Full-Time Permanent Position
Description: The HARRIS CENTER is the state-designated Local Mental Health Authority and Local Intellectual and Developmental Disability (IDD) Authority serving Harris County, Texas. As the largest behavioral and developmental disability care center in Texas, The HARRIS CENTER provided care to over 79,000 people in fiscal year 2019 and has an annual budget of over $275 million.
As part of its mission to transform the lives of people with behavioral health and IDD needs in the third largest county in the United States, The HARRIS CENTER provides a full continuum of services at 86 different sites across Harris County. In addition, services are provided in more than 42 different languages as well as sign language to better serve what is one of the most diverse and multi-cultural communities in the nation.
By utilizing the unique expertise of its more than 2,300 employees, The HARRIS CENTER is committed to meeting the behavioral health and IDD needs of Harris County residents and giving them hope to live to their fullest potential.
- Visit www.theharriscenter.org
- Click on Careers Main
- Click Search Jobs
- Type Peer Navigator in the Search box
- Click the Apply for Job button and follow the instructions
Job Role and Purpose:
- Engages in face-to-face contact with peers to help assess their needs, provide peer support, and education, and help facilitate referrals to social services. Participates as a member of the interdisciplinary team.
- Maintains open communication with the medical director, program/unit director, and other professional staff.
- Provides peers and their families with information on community and Agency resources.
- Responsible for accurate and timely collection, entry, and maintenance of required program data.
- Encourages peers to attend consumer meetings/support groups, and supports their efforts to develop empowerment skills through self-advocacy.
- Demonstrates respect and cultural sensitivity to peers, family members, visitors, and fellow employees.
- Demonstrates strong customer-service-oriented behaviors.
- Treats everyone in a polite, professional manner. Handles concerns, problems, and issues in a manner that is helpful and responsive.
- Advocates for peers to ensure that needs are met both within the Agency and the community.
- Demonstrates flexibility to meet the ongoing needs of the Agency.
- Performs other duties as assigned and adapts to changing work requirements.
- Complies with Agency policies and procedures, and demonstrates professional, ethical, and confidential conduct in all work behavior.
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED.
- Must have Texas ID, Driver’s License preferred.
- Must be a Certified Peer Specialist/have equivalent certification or must take the Certified Peer Specialist training within 6 months of hiring.
- Computer literate.
- Strong communication, listening, and positive interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work collaboratively with others in a teamwork environment.
- Effective time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to coordinate well with others.
- 0-2 years of experience.
- Must self-identify as a user of Mental Health Services with no crisis services utilized within a year, and no hospitalization within a year.
- May consider one stay within a year if it was a short duration. A background check is required.
- Prefer past experience of being in a mental health crisis.
- Prefer experience of some homelessness.
- Basic understanding of mental illness, common signs and symptoms, and the ability to identify difficulties coping in community settings.
- Familiar with having navigated the Mental Health System.
- Bi-lingual is a strong plus.
- Group affiliations are a strong plus; i.e., NAMI, DBSA, AA, NA, etc.
Supervisor: Peer Respite Team Lead
Salary and Benefits:
The HARRIS CENTER offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits package, retirement plans with company matching, prior service credit towards generous PTO accrual, outstanding wellness programs, and professional development. Employees can also take advantage of business casual dress codes, corporate discounts, and gym memberships. New hire referral bonuses and discounts are also available on an optional basis. These include mobile phone service, fitness centers,, and other wellness amenities.
Deadline for Application: 11/01/2023