Job Title: Virtual Family Support Specialist – Fatherhood Focus
Employer’s Name: Hand to Hold
Location of the position: Austin, TX preferred (but open to all remote applicants)
Full time, part time, permanent, short-term, contracted position: Hourly, full time (flexible schedule)
Brief (1-2 sentence) organization description:
Hand to Hold is a national non-profit providing NICU family support. Our caring and experienced team of NICU graduate and bereaved parents are trained as certified Peer Support Specialists, and use their personal and professional experiences to ensure all Hand to Hold programs and services work for our NICU families, at every step in the journey.
General instructions to apply:
Apply online or send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job role and purpose:
This position provides peer psycho-social support and education for NICU families, specifically fathers, in the organization’s virtual settings. Leaning on their own personal experience as a NICU father and specific peer support training, the Virtual Family Support Specialist is responsible for supporting NICU fathers virtually in either one-on-one or in group settings, all with a goal to reduce the negative impact of a NICU stay and ensure the best outcome for the entire family.
- Program Development
- Research father-focused content relevant to dads with NICU experiences.
- Seek input, secure feedback, and facilitate focus groups to learn what NICU fathers need for their wellness and mental health through their NICU journeys.
- Participate in relevant conferences, coalitions, and speaking engagements. ● Work collaboratively with staff and partners to coordinate the continuum of care for fathers enrolled in Hand to Hold programs.
- NICU Dads Discussion Podcast
- Work with the Marketing team to develop a content strategy for this podcast channel’s growth.
- Research and manage the booking of podcast guests.
- Research opportunities for Hand to Hold to be a guest on other relevant podcasts. ● Coordinate recording logistics and writing podcast episode scripts/questions. ● Take an active role in the outreach and marketing of the podcast channel. ● Identify appropriate links and keyword tags to associate with each podcast episode for the website.
- Script-writing, interview scheduling, audio recording, technical proficiency, and marketing outreach related to producing and marketing the podcasts preferred.
- Facebook Group Moderation
- Moderate Hand to Hold’s NICU Dads’ private group and grow its presence. ● Provide support and encouragement to NICU fathers subscribed to the Facebook group. ● Research relevant content to post and engage NICU fathers on a regular basis. ● Create a plan for promoting the group and for posting content on a quarterly basis. ● Take direction from, or collaborate with, the marketing team to post current information, and have seamless, unified branding across the organization’s communication and social channels.
- Online Community Moderation in English and Spanish
- Provide support and encouragement to fathers throughout their NICU journey through Hand to Hold’s Online Community using the On the Dot platform.
- Moderate specific discussion threads designed with the emotional, physical, and social needs of NICU fathers and/or engage in one-on-one chats with participants.
- Virtual Support Group Facilitation in English and Spanish
- Facilitate virtual support groups using Hand to Hold’s custom support group curriculum through Zoom or other similar platforms.
- Plan and prepare for each virtual support group. Tailor or develop father-focused group topics.
- Provide support and encouragement to families during groups.
- Track and report program data within program timelines to collect demographic information, and measure impact, satisfaction, and overall effectiveness of the groups.
- Communicate with families during regular business hours, as well as evenings or weekend hours, depending on the work schedule set.
- Contribute to Hand to Hold’s educational content, training, manuals, curricula, and other writing projects as needed.
- Participate, facilitate and/or assist at Hand to Hold events.
- Submit weekly and monthly reports – timesheets, expense reports – in a timely fashion. ● Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Hospital Ambassador Program Manager and/or Program Director.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Personal experience with a child or loved one in the NICU
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Certification in peer support by the State of Texas, or willingness to begin the certification within the first 90 days.
- Awareness of mental health challenges NICU parents face and willingness to complete appropriate training in this area, as well as ongoing education on racial and ethnic disparities, trauma informed care and other relevant instruction, both online and in person.
- Ability to provide culturally competent support and education in English and Spanish. ● Work or internship experience working with children and families, including those with disabilities, in health care, early childhood intervention, or maternal health care programs. ● Ability to work both independently and on teams.
- Ability to think proactively, address problems creatively, and take initiative appropriately. ● Ability to maintain confidentiality and professionalism as an ambassador for the organization.
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, written, and verbal communication skills. ● Willingness to learn and abide by best practices in peer support.
- Willingness to learn and apply best practices in health literacy and medical education. Preferred qualifications:
To whom the position reports (supervisor): Report to the Hospital Ambassador Program Manager
Salary and benefits info:
Flexible work schedule
Hourly, full-time position
Austin based preferred, but open to all remote applicants